Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Being My Own Person


Recently, I had to admit to my husband that I do, in fact, care what other people think. I care when I show up at a party empty handed, or when the gift is wrapped. I care when I'm not dressed appropriately for business functions or weddings. I care if my house is a mess, and someone drops in unexpectedly. Maybe it's not okay, maybe I should not, but I guarantee that most women reading this will fully understand this - even if they will not admit it. This causes undue stress and anxiety which we all know is simply not healthy.

However, I believe things happen for a reason. Sometimes there are lessons that we learned that they are incredibly hard to swallow and come in terrible weather, but the second time in his tenth year old daughter hits you with big old clock only when necessary. So, even though it causes an argument after argument, I am so happy that my daughter just does not care what you or I think of her.

I have always said that my daughter is one of a kind, genuine original child. She has red hair, blue eyed, freckle faced girl who has to wear a flower girl dress with your favorite boots and snow cap in July. She refuses to wear jeans, shirts with long sleeves, short sleeved shirts, socks and a dozen other types of clothing. This makes finding a Halloween costume is an experience for yourself. Add to that the added pressure of a Halloween costume contest every year in October and we have met with "No, Maya can not be Ninja Cat Archer, nobody will know what " and "Seriously, it is October in Nebraska - you have to wear something warmer" .

This year, she decided she wants to be Artemis - Greek Goddess of Hunt. After reviewing the images after the image of Artemis in a white dress holding a bow and arrows and shields, Maya said that yes, this is what I was going to be for Halloween, but she will wear her gray jogging pants and black t-shirt. After a very calm her by explaining that they had no black Nike jogging pants in ancient Greece, and that no one would understand who she is if she was not wearing a dress, she explained to me very quietly that she did not care. "I do not want to wear uniforms, does not look good in white ."

Although I disagree with her reasoning, I must admit that I should take a page out of it without fear, I do not care what you think about me, I love you and will look like what I want playbook. She is confident enough to be unaware of the rules of society and be who she is. I guarantee you that she never stopped showing up to prom in the same dress as another girl. I think we can all take a lesson from it.

0 comments:

Popular Posts

Followers

Powered by Blogger.